Reporting Computer System Info to LBNL for Troubleshooting
Friday, March 7, 2008
To help us determine the problem you are having running or installing our software, please supply us with the information below:
- Program version (go to the Help menu, About choice) or name of installation file (such as THERM5Setup.exe with file date and size)
- Operating System (ie, MS Windows XP, 2000, 98, etc)
- DLL Info (see below)
- System Info (see below)
To determine what DLLs are installed on a computer, do the following:
- Download the program called Dependency Walker, which is a free download.
- What you download (select the first option, which is for Windows 2000, XP, etc) will be a zip file. Unzip the contents of that file into a new directory (called whatever you want, such as DependencyWalker).
- Make sure to close the LBNL programs, ie, WINDOW5, THERM5, and Optics5
- Then, run (ie, double click on the file in Explorer) the depends.exe file from whatever directory you created. This will open up a window titled Dependency Walker.
- In that program, go to File/Open and select THERM5.exe from
c:\Program Files\LBNL\THERM5. You will be presented with a bunch of information.
- Go to the Profile menu, and select Start Profiling.
- On a computer where THERM5 runs correctly, THERM5 will start up in a few seconds.
- If THERM5 does not start up, due to initialization problems, click OK on the initialization message and then go back to the Dependency Walker program.
- Click File/SaveAs, and save the file as THERM5.dwi, close the program, and email us the file.
To determine the Computer System Information for MS Windows 2000 and XP, do the following:
- Start menu
- Programs (All Program for Windows XP)
- System Tools
- System Information
- Click on Action
- Save as System Information File
- Name it yourname.nfo and save it somewhere that you know where it is. Email the yourname.nfo file to THERMHelp@lbl.gov