Import Records from Older Version of WINDOW
Wednesday, November 27, 2019
Tuesday, November 26, 2019
When importing a record from a database created by an earlier version of WINDOW into a database made in a later version of WINDOW, it is recommended that you do the following:
- Update the older database to the later version by opening it in the later version of WINDOW. When opening an older database, WINDOW automatically "migrates" that database.
- Update the Glass Library of that newly migrated database with the latest version of the IGDB.
- Close the newly migrated and updated database
- Open the current WINDOW database that you want to import records into, and follow the appropriate steps for importing the records (generally this means clicking on the Import button in the List view of the Library you want to import records into).
When importing records from one database to another, WINDOW compares the new record (and all the referenced records, such as the Glass and Gap Layer records referenced in a Glazing Gystem record). If the records are not identical, the program will make a new record representing the data in the record being imported. This can cause new, unwanted records to be created. Migrating the database to the newer version and updating the Glass Library will eliminate most, if not all, of the cases where the program will add unwanted records.
You want to import a Glazing System Library record from an older database (WINDOW 6) into a newer database (WINDOW 7.7), and you do the following.
- In the newer database, in the Glazing System List View, you click the import button, browse to the WINDOW 6 database, and select the Glazing System record you want to import
- The WINDOW 6 Glazing System references Glass Library records with the same NFRC ID as in the WINDOW 7.7 database, but the name of the glass layer has changed, as well as the data associated with that glass layer
- On importing the record, WINDOW compares the Glass Library record from the WINDOW 6 database with the Glass Library record (with the same ID) in the WINDOW 7.7 database.
- WINDOW 7.7 detects that the two Glass Library records are not identical, and it therefore adds a new record to the Glass Library, with a new ID, and the imported Glazing System will now reference that new record in the Glass Library.