The "Advancement of Electrochromic Windows" project, supported by the California Energy Commission through its Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Program and by the U.S. Department of Energy, has produced the following technical reports:
Lee, E.S., S.E. Selkowitz, R.D. Clear, D.L. DiBartolomeo, J.H. Klems, L.L. Fernandes, G.J. Ward, V. Inkarojrit, M. Yazdanian. 2006. Advancement of Electrochromic Windows. California Energy Commission, PIER. 500-01-023. LBNL-59821.
and the following appendices:
1. Lee, E.S., S.E. Selkowitz, M.S. Levi, S.L. Blanc, E. McConahey, M. McClintock, P. Hakkarainen, N.L. Sbar, M.P. Myser. 2002. "Active Load Management with Advanced Window Wall Systems: Research and Industry Perspectives". Proceedings from the ACEEE 2002 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings: Teaming for Efficiency, August 18-23, 2002, Asilomar, Pacific Grove, CA. Washington, D.C.: American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. LBNL-50855, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
2. Lee, E.S., D.L. DiBartolomeo, F.M. Rubinstein, S.E. Selkowitz. 2004. Low-Cost Networking for Dynamic Window Systems. Energy and Buildings 36(6):503-513. LBNL-52198, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
3. Tavil, A. and E.S. Lee. 2005. The impact of overhang design on the performance of the electrochromic windows. Proceedings of the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Solar World Congress, Orlando, Florida on August 8-12, 2005. LBNL-57020.
4. Lee, E.S. and A. Tavil. 2005. An assessment of the visual comfort and energy performance of electrochromic windows with overhangs. Submitted to Building and Environment, October 14, 2005. LBNL-59064, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
5. Fernandes, L., G. Ward, E.S. Lee. 2005. Radiance-Mathematica optimization of electrochromic operations for occupant comfort and non-energy provisions. Technical report.
Energy Use and Peak Demand Impacts
6. Lee, E.S., D. L. DiBartolomeo. 2002. Application issues for large-area electrochromic windows in commercial buildings. Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 71 (2002) 465-491. LBNL Report 45841, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
7. Lee, E.S., D.L. DiBartolomeo, S.E. Selkowitz. 2005. Daylighting control performance of a thin-film ceramic electrochromic window: Field study results. Energy and Buildings 38 (2006) 30-44. LBNL-54924, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
8. Lee, E.S., D.L. DiBartolomeo, J. Klems, Ph.D., M. Yazdanian, S.E. Selkowitz. 2005. Monitored Energy Performance of Electrochromic Windows Controlled for Daylight and Visual Comfort. To be presented at the ASHRAE 2006 Annual Meeting, Quebec City, Canada, June 24-28, 2006 and published in ASHRAE Transactions. LBNL-58912.
9. Lee, E.S., M. Yazdanian, S.E. Selkowitz. 2004. The Energy-Savings Potential of Electrochromic Windows in the US Commercial Buildings Sector. LBNL-54966, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
10. Klems, J. 2004. Thermal calibration of the windows testbed facility. Technical report.
11. Clear, R.D., V. Inkarojrit, E.S. Lee. 2005. Subject responses to electrochromic windows. Submitted to Energy and Buildings, February 23, 2005. LBNL-57125, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
12. Inkarojrit, V. 2004. Analysis of visual comfort using high-dynamic-range luminance images. Poster report.
13. Clear, R.D. 2005. Assessment of visual comfort study in a full-scale electrochromic window testbed. Technical report.
14. Exerpt from: Carmody, J., S. Selkowitz, E.S. Lee, D. Arasteh, T. Wilmert. 2004. Window Systems for High Performance Commercial Buildings. New York: W.W. Norton and Company, Inc. [936 KB PDF]
15. Lee, E.S., S. Selkowitz, V. Bazjanac, V. Inkarojrit, C. Kohler. 2002. High-Performance Commercial Building Facades. LBNL-50502, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA.
16. Lee, E.S., S.E. Selkowitz, R.D. Clear, D.L. DiBartolomeo, J.H. Klems, L.L. Fernandes, G.J. Ward, V. Inkarojrit, M. Yazdanian. 2006. A Design Guide for Early-Market Electrochromic Windows. California Energy Commission, PIER. 500-01-023. LBNL-59950.
17. Summary of Technology Transfer Activities: Journal articles, conference papers, popular press, and presentations, including copies of articles:
- Selkowitz, S.E., E.S. Lee, O. Aschehoug. 2003. Perspectives on Advanced Facades with Dynamic Glazings and Integrated Lighting Controls. CISBAT 2003, Innovation in Building Envelopes and Environmental Systems, International Conferences on Solar Energy in Buildings, October 8, 2003, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Selkowitz, S.E., O. Aschehoug, E.S. Lee. 2003. Advanced Interactive Facades — Critical Elements for Future Green Buildings? Presented at GreenBuild, the annual USGBC International Conference and Expo, November 2003. LBNL-53876.
- Selkowitz, S.E., E.S. Lee. 2004. Integrating Automated Shading and Smart Glazings with Daylight Controls. International Symposium on Daylighting Buildings (IEA SHC TASK 31), Tokyo, Japan.
Popular Press Articles
- Engineering News-Record, "Glass Facades Go Beyond Skin Deep", 2003.
- Builder Magazine, article on smart windows, February 2004.
- E-Source article on electrochromic windows, May 2004.
- Berkeley Lab Currents, "Windows of Opportunity: New facility not only offers great views, but enables researchers to develop energy efficient windows", September 19, 2003. http://www.lbl.gov/Publications/Currents/Archive/Sep-19-2003.html.
- Berkeley Lab Science Beat, "Internet-based control systems for building energy-efficiency", November 26, 2003. http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sb-EETD-internet-controls.html.
- Glass Magazine, "Chameleon Windows: Haven't Shown Their True Colors Yet", October 2004.
- Scientific American, "Smart Glass: Private and Cool", September 2005.
- Energy design resources e-news, "High-Performance Glazing: Making the Most of Today's Advanced Technologies", Issue 54, March 2006.
- Architectural Record, "Robo Buildings: Pursuing the Interactive Envelope", April 2006.
Other LBNL technical reports on electrochromic windows are available at:
Search for title: electrochromics.